Monday, September 14, 2009

It's time for Pal to meet the big boys!

I've decided that it's about time to start weaning PAL. I always like to make the weaning process as low stress as possible for the mother and the foal and so far my method has worked pretty darn well for me. For starters, I move the mare and foal into a pasture with one or two gentle aged geldings. For Pal I choose Buster and Fritz as they are gentle giants. Today seemed like a good day to do it so here is Pal introducing himself to Buster and Fritz while Mom calmly eats hay in the background.

Well hay there little fella!


Hi, I'm just a baby. Won't you be my friend?


I couldn't have asked for a smoother introduction. I'm going to leave all of these guys together for a couple of days and then I will put Pal and the gentlemen in the arena (the safest environment possible) and take Mom away for a bit to see how they react. Normally the foal will have made some great new friends so he won't fuss very much for his mother. If he doesn't make too much of a stink I'll go ahead and move Mom down to the PAL Ranch so they can't hear each other call. Once all is calm with the guys, I'll move them all back out to the pasture and get on with things.

No comments:

I am not afraid of death and I am not selfish therefor no animal shall suffer at the hands of my weaknesses.