Tuesday, November 2, 2010

HART Rescue State of the Union

Well winter is finally here and unfortunately the economy is still in the tank.  People are struggling to make ends meet and having to make some difficult decisions about their lifestyle choices.  Unfortunately, as you all already know this means cutting back expenses and horses are a very expensive luxury.

Sadly, I get phone calls and emails every day from desperate people needing to find homes for their horses that they can no longer care for.  This is one of the most difficult parts of being a horse rescue because I simply CANNOT take them all.  Most of the time I end up providing council on their options for euthanasia if the horse is old or injured.

I do get some donations that are very much appreciated but people need to remember that even though HART Rescue is a non profit corporation, this is ME here running and funding this organization.  There is only so much I can do in a day and only so many horses I can house and care for.   Any and all offers of help and donations are WELCOME AND APPRECIATED and I thank you all very much for what you have done for HART Rescue.

This summer we were lucky enough to have two very large hay fields donated to HART.  I spend countless hours on my tractors harvesting this hay, in total we put up over 80 tons of hay ~ 40 of that was from the donated fields.  If it wasn't for generous donations like this I would NOT be able to rescue as many horses as I do, this is a HUGE savings for HART.  One of the donated fields needs to be sprayed for broadleaf this spring, any donations of broadleaf killer would be GREATLY APPRECIATED and will save HART a lot of money.  Putting all of this hay in the barn takes a lot of hard work so if you would like to donate some muscle power during the harvest that would also save HART some money, this summer HART payed out over $1000.00 for hay help, diesel and baling twine but we got about $4000.00 worth of hay in the barn for the rescue horses!!!!!!

UP FOR ADOPTION

Raja.  He is a 6 year old registered Saddlebred with champion bloodlines.  He started out to be a senior project for a nice young lady, and after being sold a time or two ended up in the hands of a selfish person who though her only option for this horse that she could not sell and make a buck on was to take him out into the woods and dump him.  Thanks to one VERY BRAVE young lady who recognized the horse, the person that dumped him and his buddy Cherokee got to spend the night in jail and is now facing the consequences of her actions.  Raja is a NICE HORSE, there is NOTHING wrong with him other than he ended up in the wrong hands.  He is not broke to ride but he is very gentle and I am starting him under saddle as soon as he gets up to a healthy weight.  Raja is up for adoption for a $200.00 adoption fee.

Click on this link to see Raja and Cherokee's story and on my blog 
http://lighteningsblog.blogspot.com/2010/09/two-horses-found-loose-off-turner-creek.html

Flair is yet another victim of the times.  She is a 1 1/2 year old mustang that was left to fend for herself.  She had been part of a herd of mustangs owned by an older gentleman who could no longer care for the horses.  The herd was taken but somehow she was left behind.  Flair was not handled at all when I got her but she is so sweet and friendly that with just a small amount of attention I was able to halter break her, put a blanket on her and pick up her feet.  Fair really wants to be someones best friend.  She has a hernia that needs to be fixed and her teeth need work. This will all be done this Friday.  The estimated cost of her surgery and dental work is $500.00 to $700.00.  If you would like to donate towards the cost of her procedures you can send funds to Carlton Vet, c/o HART Rescue, 230 South Pine Street, Carlton OR  97111.  After recovery, Flair will be up for adoption for a $200.00 adoption fee.

Click here to see Flairs story and photos on my blog
http://lighteningsblog.blogspot.com/2010/10/flair.html

I'm sure many of you remember Madeline and Giggles from the Rice/Moore case. They were both adopted out but unfortunately, their adoptive family could no longer take care of them so they were returned to HART for re-adoption.  They are both sound, healthy and ready to start under saddle.  I have been working with both of them, had them both saddled and they are going great. 

To see updated photos of these two wonderful mares click here.
http://lighteningsblog.blogspot.com/2010/11/madeline-and-giggles-are-back-and-need.html

I also have some miniature horses available for adoption, just go to my blog at http://lighteningsblog.blogspot.com/ and look under "Up For Adoption" on the right side of the screen.

NEW ARRIVALS

I have a truckload of new miniature horses coming in the next couple of weeks.  Once they arrive I am going to call an "All Hands on Deck" for help.  These little guys are going to need to be socialized, vaccinated, wormed, brushed, feet done and evaluated for adoption.   This will be an excellent opportunity for the 4-H groups that need to get their community service time in as this is much more fun than cleaning stalls!!!  There are two stallions that I know of in this group that will need to be castrated so if you can spare a couple of dollars towards the expense of castration, please send money to Carlton Vet, c/o HART Rescue, 230 South Pine Street, Carlton OR  97111.

HOW YOU CAN HELP
There are many ways that you can help out at HART Rescue, remember all donations are TAX DEDUCTIBLE

1.    Send money to  Carlton Vet, c/o HART Rescue, 230 South Pine Street, Carlton OR  97111 to help out with veterinary expenses
2.    Come to HART and volunteer your time helping with the horses or cleaning stalls and paddocks.
3.    Spread the word to all of your friends and family about the horses that we have up for adoption!
4.    Donate and/or sell tack to HART for the fundraising and again, spread the word!
5.    Come up and lend a hand during hay season!!

HORSE BLANKET WASH AND REPAIR SERVICES
Last spring I started a horse blanket wash and repair service  Please contact me to arrange for pick up and delivery of your horse blankets for wash and repair.   This is a personal business that I started and not a part of HART Rescue so not tax deductible but if I don't have a personal income it would be impossible for me to keep HART Rescue open!!!!!

REPAIR SERVICES
Most small repairs run $5.00 - $15.00
Larger repairs are charged by the hour @ $20.00 per hour and include materials.

WASHING SERVICES
All Blankets $8.00
Extra dirty blankets add $2.00 for extra wash.
Small items - $8.00 per load.
I use a liquid detergent that is specifically designed for sportswear, it does NOT leave a residue and does NOT damage the fabric, waterproofing or threads.

Everything is line dried.

PICK UP AND DELIVERY
FREE for large orders!!!

IN CLOSING
Thank you everyone for your continued support of HART Rescue and I hope that you all have a wonderful holiday season.

Jamie Cheslock
Founder/Director
Horse/Animal Rescue Team (HART)

1 comment:

Tonie Tollen said...

Jamie I just found your blog today when I was on Craig's list about to post something about a couple of fleeces I have for sale from my ewes.
I don't know how you do all you do!
Two years ago today, a friend and I went to an auction of abandoned horses in Molalla. Or. and ended up buying 4 Arabian mares. I have all 4 here and they are now all registered to me and looking beautiful!
If I had the room, I would love more horses but I raise Mini donkeys and sheep. You can see my farm if you look up Tollen Farm and check out my blogspot.
Keep up the great work and put me on your email list.
Tonie Tollen
tollenfarm@msn.com

I am not afraid of death and I am not selfish therefor no animal shall suffer at the hands of my weaknesses.